Navigation trigger

Marriage Licensing

Font size: Print:

Marriage License

To obtain a marriage licence, ensure that both parties meet the criteria below, and then complete the application form. If you have any questions after reviewing this information, please call the Clerk's Department at the Municipal Office (705) 356-2251 ext. 210.

The application itself, along with the supporting documents, as outlined below, must be submitted in person by one or both applicants.

  • Both parties MUST sign the Marriage Licence application form
  • A Marriage Licence can only be issued and signed by the prospective applicants
  • Applicants 16-17 years of age must have special consent from parents/guardians. Persons under 16 years of age cannot be issued a Marriage Licence
  • TWO pieces of original valid identification (no copies permitted), as outlined below, must be presented for both parties in order for a marriage licence to be issued.

Required Identification

1st piece of identification MUST be one of the following:
Birth Certificate, including any change of name certificate, or
Valid Passport

2nd piece of identification MUST be in the form of photo ID:
Record of Immigrant Landing
Canadian Citizenship Card
Valid Driver’s Licence
Ontario Photo Card

Please Note: Ontario Health Cards and Social Insurance Number (SIN) Cards are not accepted for this purpose. There are no residency or citizenship requirements and neither blood tests nor medical certificates are required.

Previous Marriages

  • If you are divorced, within Canada, we require the ORIGINAL or a COURT CERTIFIED COPY of the Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute, whichever applies, is required. The Certificate of Divorce or Decree Absolute will be returned to the applicant. Visit the Ontario Ministry of the Attorney General for a full list of Ontario Court addresses.
  • If you are divorced, outside of Canada, please contact the Vital Statistics Office for further instructions.
  • Prior to applying for a Marriage Licence, please check with the person solemnizing the ceremony whether you require a Marriage Licence from Town Hall
  • Payment must be received at the time of application for a Marriage Licence, money cannot be reimbursed
  • The Marriage Licence is valid for use anywhere in Ontario for a period of 3 months from the date of issue. Should you not marry within that time period, you must apply for and pay for a new licence.
  • The Marriage Licence will be issued as soon as possible provided that all required documents are submitted.
  • License Fee $140.00 payable by Cash, Interac or e-Transfer ONLY


Please use the checklist below to ensure completeness of application

  • All information completed on Form 3 – Marriage Licence Application for both applicants
  • If either applicant is divorced, the ORIGINAL Certificate of Divorce is included
  • Mandatory - Intended place and date of marriage are indicated
  • Both applicants have 2 pieces of ID
  • Fee of $140.00 to be payable to the Town of Blind River
Click here to download a Marriage Licence Application Form


Are you looking for a registered officiant to perform your marriage ceremony?
Please view the comprehensive list of registered officiants in Ontario.
Last item for navigation