Kathryn Scott - Town Clerks Administrator
11 Hudson Street P.O. Box 640
Ontario, P0R 1B0
The Municipal Election was held on Monday, October 27, 2014, in accordance with the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, as amended, of Ontario.
View the Official Results
For what Offices
In the Town of Blind River, Municipal Elections are held for the Offices of:
- Mayor (one to be elected)
- Town Councillors (six to be elected)
- Trustee – English Language Public – Algoma District School Board (one to be elected)
- Trustee – French Language Public – Conseil scolaire de district du Grand Nord de l’Ontario (one to be elected)
- Trustee – English Language Catholic – Huron – Superior Catholic District School Board (two to be elected)
- Trustee – French Language Catholic – Conceil scolaire de district catholique du Nouvel-Ontario (one to be elected)
The representation for school board elections are subject to change in the year of the Election based on a formula for each Board which determines representation to an elector population of the Board’s jurisdiction in accordance with the Education Act of Ontario.
Generally, in order to run for an office, one must be an eligible elector for the office. Criteria for eligibility is contained in the Municipal Election Act, Municipal Act, and Education Act (for school board elections). For a full description of qualification, please refer to the applicable pieces of legislation listed above. Qualifications for offices include: residency within the municipality; or own or lease land within the municipality (or spouse or same sex partner of such person); and on Voting Day be a Canadian citizen at least 18 year of age, and not be prohibited from voting for any other reason. The voter qualification period begins on the first Tuesday after Labour Day in an Election year and continues until Voting Day; however elected candidates must continue to be qualified throughout the term of office.
How And When A Candidate May Register For Office
Nomination Day is the Friday 45 days before October 27th Voting Day, which in 2014 will be Friday, September 12, 2014 from 9:00am until 2:00 pm. Candidates may withdraw a nomination anytime up until 2:00 pm on September 12th. However, nomination papers may also be filed prior to Nomination Day any time after January 1 in an Election year during normal office hours of the Town Clerk’s Department.